Welcome from Andy Rimmer
We at the Lantern Church are really excited about the Olympics and to celebrate this we would love to invite you to a special Merley Sports Weekend of which the Community Fun Sports Day is the centrepiece. It promises to be a fantastic all age event and best of all its FREE! We have worked closely with Canford School and local sports clubs to provide a local event for every person in our community. From a morning of 'It's a Knockout' style games, a community lunch with entertainment to the Try Sports event in the afternoon, it doesn’t matter about your age, sporting ability or anything else, just come down and join in the fun. When you’ve recovered from that we’d like to invite you a ‘sport-themed’ service at the Lantern Church at 10am on Sunday 8th July and/or a ‘Question of Sport’ style quiz on Monday 9th July at 7.30pm (@ the Lantern).Let’s celebrate together as a community this incredible summer of sport.
Andy Rimmer – Vicar – The Lantern Church
Programme of Events
11am to 1 pm - the ‘Mer-lympics’ Team Competition.
The Mer-lympics Family Fun Team Competition (It’s a Knockout Style) will be held on the Sports Field at
Canford School from 11am to 1pm. The events will be designed to allow people of all ages and abilities to take part. Do not miss your chance to be a Mer-lympian Champion – form a team or apply to be in a team now. Or just turn up and watch the FUN.
1 pm onwards - Food, fun and music in the grounds of Canford School.
Bring a picnic or sample the refreshments (including a Hog Roast £3 a bap); meet Barney Bay (Jester);
Bouncy Castle for children (and children at heart), relax to the sound of the Christchurch and Highcliffe
Brass Band; under 5’s play area and much more.............
2pm to 4.30pm - TRY SPORTS Activities.
A chance to TRY an activity.
- TRY Events - open to all ages and abilities – unless otherwise stated
- Open Events – all you need to do is turn up and have a go.
- Limited Place Events – Places are restricted in some activities so booking in advance advisable. To book
telephone 01202 887733 or email info@the lanternchurch.org.
- Sports Hall Activities - Participants should wear suitable clothing (shorts/tracksuit and t shirt) including
non marking trainers.
- Sub Aqua – swimwear and towels required.
- Kayaking/Canoeing/Rowing – Bring spare clothing including footwear - what you are wearing may get
- Health – Please let the coach know if you have any health issues which might impact on your ability to
take part in an activity. For some activities you or your parent or guardian maybe required to complete a